Wednesday, 26 July 2017

A barn and Bluecoats

Here's the Renedra barn, bought from a club member as a kit. This is a very simple job to assemble, primed with some cheap black primer from The Range and then base coated with Halford's brown camouflage spray. Some dry brushing later and we have something that will easily cover 400 years of history from English Civil War to the twentieth century.

It's important to remember those are wooden shingles on the roof and not slate tiles so it might be a little more American than European but it would be an easy task to cover with thatching, if done right it could just pop on when needed. I'll get some cheap towelling and give it a try before popping it on a base.


Next up is the first batch of my forces for The Pikemans Lament, I've started with one of the cheap plastic infantry boxes, I effectively got 2 for the price of 1. The figures are a little simple in places, showing their age but they are a quick paint.

I have managed to get the full 42 figures from the box, the box says 40. The secret is to have the firelocks box, which has two sets of arms for each body as so plenty of spares. This gives me 2 12 man shot groups, a 12 man pike group and 4 command figures which can be incorporated in those groups. 

I settled on a generic blue colour scheme, Blue was worn by both the Royalist forces occupying Evesham during the Civil War and the Gloucester Trained Bands who were part of the Parliamentarian forces who stormed and took the town in May 1645. 


These figures need a varnish, grass and tufts - that's a job for the weekend. Before starting on the next batch I shall tackle a few pieces from the 'grot' box - models long started but never seem to inspire me to complete them.

3 comments:

Michael Awdry said...

I have that very barn primed and gathering dust, but for some reason I can't bring myself to finish it off. Seeing yours might be just the inspiration I need, thank you.

Paul said...

Give a go, won't take long.

Stuart S said...

Looking good Paul that was a quick turn around.
Cheers
Stu