Saturday, 14 February 2015

Watch the skies

This week I finished off my 15mm US Paratroopers for Chain of Command, these are mainly made up of the plastics from the Open Fire starter box supplemented with some metals. They are painted with the post D-Day uniform.

Alongside the later three squad platoon, we have all three engineer supports, additional mortar and bazooka teams, a sniper team and forward observer.


I have painted all the spare models too, the basing is for the urban ruins of Market Garden or Bastogne although I drew the line at snow bases.


Four new battalions, including one of Royal Marines have been raised for service in the Sudan along with a small unit representing the armoured bodyguard for Hicks Pasha, these were taken from the Mahdist command strips, the remainder painted as Mahdist leaders.




Tuesday, 10 February 2015

Mercenaries are coming!


I have settled on a black and yellow scheme for my mercenary contingent for my Wars of the Roses forces, I have a flag for them too from the Perry's instruction sheet.

I have been trying to track down various proxies for the Sudan collection, from the Baccus Mahdist command strips, I shall use the armoured figures as Turco-Circassian Heavy cavalry, the spear armed troops as Bashing-bazooks, the Arab horse will be taken from the main Mahdist horse strips. The Egyptian Regular Cavalry are proving a problem as like the infantry they have a minimum of kit and are wearing the fez, could I take a scalpel blade to a kept and cut off the peak?

Monday, 2 February 2015

The Battle of Shaikan

Having got hold of the Blood on the Nile, we'd decided to get what figures we had painted so far and chuck them on the table and see how Black Powder played for this period.

I was quite impressed with what we'd got painted, Dane had cracked on painting Mahdists and Egyptians so looking at the scenarios we almost had enough to do Shaikan and see if Hicks Pasha can save his honour. In reality all we were missing was the cavalry elements for the Egyptians and I scouring the other ranges for suitable proxies.


Alas 6mm is not too photogenic especially in this context but the shot above shows the full column on table with the rear regiment turned to face the trailing brigade of Mahdists which in the end we never brought on. In the end we hit them on three flanks with the ferocity of the warbands (and their rerolls) winning the combats, it will not be so easy against the British. The game was great fun and was a vindication for our choice of scale. We are considering a linked game with a 6mm Black Powder game linked to a 28mm Sharp Practice game, perhaps a besieged advanced party waiting for their relief column, both beset by hordes of Mahdists.

All figures were unit based, 30mm square for artillery, 30mm x 60mm for formed infantry and 60mm square for warbands. Unit basing is definately the way forward in this scale.