Monday, 27 June 2011

June painting update

June has seen me mostly waiting for my Malifaux stuff to arrive, some of it is out of stock so meanwhile 'the devil makes work for idle hands'.

I painted up some test Tyranids a while ago, I wanted a generic bug army for Sci-Fi gaming, but meanwhile courtesy of some eBay bargains I have painted up a bunch of Chaos Marines, once I get some time I will have a photo shoot for these.

This weekend has been a bit of a pick and mix, I had popped in to Gripping Beast after work to see how their Saga rules were coming on, I am really looking forward to this one and that caused me to have a delve in to the lead mountain and dig out all my dark age civilians, so those have been cleaned up and undercoated.

I have also blocked a basic flesh tone on to the Wargames Factory 'Numidians' and will get some more done on these along with the resin hay car this week. But just to prove how fickle I am, whilst I was listening to pocasts over the weekend someone mentioned Firestorm Armada, so I pulled the box from the shelf, cleaned up and assembled the ships and slapped a undercoat on them.

The ships are going to be green, inspired by the shot of the carrier in the rulebook, I have sprayed some Tamiya NATO green on with the airbrush, but they will need a couple of coats. I ran out of prepared paint before I got to the battleship, so that will wait till next time.

I also have been able to get a GW corpse cart kit on eBay, the lack of instructions hasn't really proved to be to much of a problem, but I haven't decided whether this will be a chariot or a warshrine. The 'rider' is likely to end up a chaos mage.

Tuesday, 21 June 2011

Putting the cart before the horse

Is this one of the most useful and cheapest scenic items I have bought in a long time? Okay it's a resin hay cart bought on eBay from drwillettsworkshop I got mine for £2.00 which is a bargain for something I can use in periods from Ancients, Dark Ages, ECW, ACW, Napoleonics and World War Two.

This is as delivered shot, the casting is very clean and I can't see that I need to do any cleaning up at all although I did give it a rinse in warm soapy water just in case there was mould release agent used. I will get some paint on this very soon.

Sunday, 12 June 2011

Is it summer yet?

Well here we are in the UK having a wet weekend, isn't it supposed to be summer? Well at least I am able to have a 'hobby day' today without feeling I should be out doing something or mowing the lawn.

First up I have finally finished making the Wargames Factory Numidians, a plastic set which is great for making all manner of ancient light infantry. I have deliberately not used any helmeted head to make them less like formal troops.

I also made eight without any weapons at all, scraped off their cross belt from across the chest in order to make unarmoured figures, hopefully the open hands won't be too obvious once painted.

Finally after last weekends introduction to Malifaux, here are my first first three Wyrd figures. As Malifaux is very much a skirmish game with a low figure count, I wanted the figures and the bases to be as good as I could make them. The starter sets contain on average 5 figures, which is enough for a game.

I had some resin bases from Fenris Games tucked away, I fancied using some of these but was wary as I would have to cut the slot tabs of the figures and drill out the legs for pins. Not something I was looking forward to doing. In the end I decided to trim the tab to make the pin itself, the bases are very easy to work with, ten seconds with the pinvice and another few seconds with a needle file and the job was done. A tab of superglue and then glued the resin to the plastic base.

This is something the figures might look like once they are painted. I have some other figures I can use with these from Heresy miniatures, those are on the work table being pinned and glued before undercoating.

Tuesday, 7 June 2011

Juggernauts rule our streets!

I have been wanting to get a hero mounted on a juggernaut for a while but have avoided the metal kit from GW as I know too well from experience that they can be a pain to assemble if the metal parts have warped. A while ago I thought of using the bloodletter box combined with the plastic knights, buying those boxes new would come to £49! Of course I could reuse some of the parts and sell on others, luckily someone else had that idea too.

A seller on eBay had combined the kits but armed the knights with lances which is inappropriate for Warhammer fantasy. I was able to cut off one arm at the elbow and glue on a mace arm.

The second knight had his arm cut off at the joint, I was able to reposition it and cut off the blade and then attach the standard. Not sure I would use them both at the same time, and having a frenzied battle standard bearer sounds like a gamble to me.