Sunday, 26 December 2010

Un-boxing day!

Well I have not posted for a couple of weeks, the snow cancelled the last club night and the figures I painted especially for the game still remain unseen. Perhaps later in the week I will photograph them. In the meantime I have been dabbling on eBay again, I have a plastic troll for my fantasy chaos army and a box of Mantic Dwarfs just to see what they are like.

You might recall I had a couple of free ghouls, which remain unpainted at the moment. I will paint them as zombies when I do the Heresy ghouls. The dwarfs seem to have polarised opinions but you can't argue with their value for money.

Mantic's approach is simple plastic models with little assembly enabling gamers to assemble their armies quickly. The set I have here "Ironclads" seems to be the basic troopers and came via eBay for just over £7 post paid. There are considerable savings to be made by buying the various larger sets available, bring the model cost as low as  44p each. GWs dwarfs are triple the price.

All Mantic sets come in plastic storage boxes, which they suggest you store the models in once painted. The cases are pretty study and ensure the figures come in tip top condition.




Inside the case, a foam lining, 2 sprues of figures, a sprue of bases, a leaflet and a "Mantic Point". You might, if you are like me be of a certain age, remember than all Action Man stuff came with points on the boxes, you saved them up and exchanged them for goodies, this is the same. There are things for 10 points and 25 points.




Here is a close up of the sprue which holds 5 troopers, a casualty, a bulldog(!) and a severed Orc head. I'm pretty sure they could have squeezed another trooper on there but at least they are putting extras on the sprues. The bases are round which then fit into 20mm squares, this helps rank models up.


Whilst catching up on the festive telly, I have cut the fugures from the sprue and stuck them together. I have done some with the two handed hammer the rest have either smaller axes or hammers. I would have preferred round shields, reminding me of the old Imperial Dwarfs.



Here's a couple of shots of the ten assembled models. I might try and get these undercoated tonight if the snow doesn't get too much in the way.


2 comments:

Stuart S said...

Interesting stuff Paul, I was looking at their Ghouls and Zombies to spice up my ATZ stuff, though about early out break was some runners rather than ramblers.
Cheers Stu

MarkG said...

Nice report Paul. Sturdy looking fellows, but I agree round shields would have been better, more Dwarvish!