Sunday, 10 October 2010

Investigating the lead mountain

I have not managed to do any painting this week at all due to work and other commitments, hopefully I will remedy that tomorrow and make some progress on my ACW cavalry.

Briefly this morning I flirted with the idea of entering the Cold War tourney at Gripping Beast in January, alas the theme of the army was 'Dark Ages', up to 1066 no lances or crossbows. My existing Norman army could be used but this would have been an opportunity to upgrade the army. I have since changed my mind as I want to paint Napoleonics and ACW for Sharp Practice as well as finish my 6mm ACW.

I have brought the box of fresh WAB lead from the garage, I do have a bunch of Foundry blisters stacked away in another box, I thought I would take a little to see what I had in for a rainy day.

For Roman based games/armies, I have a unit of GB Praetorian Guard as well as a good number of A&A Numidian Foot and Mounted, which could be an allied force or perhaps a foe in a skirmish game.

Over the past few years I have collected a bunch of Spanish and Arab type figures to 'upgrade' my Norman army into Christian Spanish or Andalusian. The figures are from Artizan, Musketeer as well as Gripping Beast, and includes plenty of easy to paint Moors.

I also have a good sized bag of Dark Age figures from GB including Vikings and plenty of civilians for skirmish games as well as a even larger bag of mainly Foundry ECW foot.

I must try and get through some of this pile next year, it would be good to get some more skirmish games with the Romans and also to introduce the Normans to the club.

Reading wise I have been ploughing through Ralph Peters 'The Red Army', the only WW3 novel where the Soviets win, this has turned my mind to my 6mm Soviets languishing in the cupboard part painted and Cold War Commander. Of course not seeing Timecast's new 6mm petrol station would have helped but I suspect I will end up buying one.

1 comment:

MarkG said...

Vikings, Normans when will it stop!!!

But I've been thinking the same for a while. Maybe in the new year, I would like to return to the Dark Ages, 1066 and all that. My Vikings need to be painted I just need an excuse (and time), and the Conquest plastc Normans, look good too.