Tuesday, 11 May 2010

Another Plastics Review

Well there I was sitting on the sofa watching the TV, absent-mindedly browsing ebay when I suddenly decided it was a good idea to buy some more plastic figures. The two sets I bought were the Immortal Miniatures Hoplites and the Wargames Factory Numidian Light Infantry.





The Hoplites are for skirmish games either against contemporary opponents or mythic beasts and baddies, I already have a Hydra and a Medusa. The Numidians are classic light infantry which can be used as unarmoured greeks or romans and again can be used in different games. I am planning a jewish revolt game but that might be an excuse to paint romans on camels.



The two sets of figures arrived today, Tuesday, which was excellent as it was Sunday when I bought them. Both sets of figures are excellent but are different in conception. The Hoplites are sculpted as 3 ups, then are reduced in size for the production of the tooling, the Numidians are designed using CAD software on a computer.


Hoplite Command Sprue

The Hoplites come in a box as shown , 34 figures split across four identical sprues of eight figures and the command sprue with a further 2 figures on, also included is a sheet of shield decals and a set of figure bases.

The command sprue has a leader in a muscled cuirass and and a unarmoured musician, plenty of helmet and crest options. There is also a couple of the older dipylon shields and a pair of arms wielding the kopesh.

The main sprue has eight bodies with bronze cuirass, linen cuirass and tunic. Absolutely loads of helmets and crest options, hoplons (shields), ten spear arms and a single sword wielding arm. I shall be interested to see how much variety is possible with these arms, some are underarm and some overarm.


Main Hoplite Sprue

As I am not trying to reproduce a phalanx, I shall use all the sword arms I have. No bare heads are included, and some of the heads look rather small but I am sure they will be fine once glued to the bodies.

In comparison, the Numidians come in a clear plastic wrapper, with seven of each of the two sprues. The body sprue, shown below, comes with the four bodies and six pairs of arms. All bodies are unarmoured and two of the bodies are barefoot.


Numidian Body Sprue

The weapon sprue has nine heads, four are bareheaded, I shall use all the bareheaded on my models intending them to be more timeless. Along with the pieces for the command figures like standard and musician horn arm come 4 shields, 2 bows, 4 swords, quivers, scabbarded swords, javelins and slings.


Numidian Weapon Sprue

I shall make good use of all weapon options on these figures to give me a nice mix of figures. Once completed I shall post photos of completed figures for comparison, the figures will be painted as neutral as possible to increase their usefulness.

So that's another 62 figures bought on a whim. The Numidians will be done first whilst the Hoplites will go away for a rainy day, I am pleased with both sets of figures and they are now widely available from a variety of stockists in the UK.

I have started on the 6mm ACW figures at long last and have completed a 'new' building for Sundays Napoleonic skirmish game.

Paul

No comments: