Wednesday, 20 May 2009

New look Wargames Illustrated

Well I finally have the first issue of the revamped Wargames Illustrated in my hand, the last issue was the first under the new regime, and was a strong issue so I have high hopes for this one.

WI has suffered over the last few years as it more and more reflected the niche interests of its then editor and his friends, I believe that it will have lost many readers over that period. Now the magazine has been bought by Battlefront every one is expecting it to be dominated by Flames of War, so many are watching.

The free cover mounted plastics have been a good idea and will have piqued the interest of many of gamer, the ECW musketeer lies buried on my painting table but will see paint eventually, the Valiant WW2 perhaps not so. I really wanted to like them and on one level I do as I love the idea of being able to customise and add variety but I can not reconcile their size with my existing collection, I will pass them on.

So on to new issue, first off the Perry's Riflemen. They are of a slighter build than my Front Rank figures but when painted up I think they will match up reasonably well. A skim through the issue reveals a good selection of scales represented 10mm, 15mm and 28mm with Ancients, Medieval, ECW, Late 17th Century, Napoleonics, WW1 and WW2 all being covered.

There was also show coverage from this years Salute and from Cold Wars in the US, a nice touch in the Salute article was naming those responsible for the demo games - a nice bit of deserved fame for those involved.

As promised content from Osprey was present which makes for a nice professional looking magazine, Battlefront's experience publishing FoW does show as the production quality is superb, particularly with the Bagration article.

The Flames of War coverage was 8 pages from 116 isn't too bad, as well as a modelling article, there was also a 4 page advertorial from Gale Force 9 also owned by Battlefront.

Verdict: Excellent and more please.

No comments: